Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Reason To Celebrate.....



     Those of you who know my Mom, know that she loves to celebrate.  We tease that she is the ultimate party girl.  She has more energy and determination than many people I know.  
    But some occasions are so significant that one party will not do.  So we have twice celebrated a date in my Mom's life that she holds with deep regard.  She came to this country 60 years ago this month, and we gathered to toast her courage and listen to the stories of her passage and arrival to her new country.  Again I am amazed at her courage and we all marvel at the strength that is contained in the small package we all call Oma.
     Because it is often difficult to get all of the family together at one time, Oma decided that two parties would be just fine.  With Jonathan and Jill we enjoyed a wonderful brunch and some special time later in their lovely home.  Jonathan took movies and asked the important questions.....what was she thinking when she left Holland and her family, what was the first impression she had of the USA.  It was interesting to see the voyage thru her eyes, to see her eyes light up when she spoke of seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time.  I am always amazed to hear the stories of how my parents began their life in America.  It is a timeless story and I am grateful each time that I hear it.
     Our second celebration was last night.  We gathered at the Fish House and ate a meal that was sumptuous and delicious.  Again we heard the story of her travels, what she wore, the funny story of my Opa on the boat.  What a determination this young woman had to have.  I love to know that we gather as family to honor Oma, and I love to know that she still loves this country that gave hope to two young people beginning their life together. Oma commented that when she came to this country she could not afford even one mussel ( a favorite meal) but tonight we all shared a large bucket that signified how far she had come.  
     Oma is the heart of our family.  It is her courage and love that blends all of us together.  I will always be humbled by the sacrifices she has made and the lessons she has taught me. We  all adore her. God bless America for embracing her.  God bless my mother for the example she continues to be. 

3 comments:

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

I marvel at my parents' bravery too. Both only 26 years old with a 1 year old (me) in toll. What were they thinking? I think they still wonder sometimes, but have little regrets about coming here and having the opportunities that they probably wouldn't have had in overcrowded Holland.

So give a big hug to my tante Nellie for me...glad she came here first otherwise not sure where we would have landed without her sponsorship of my parents.

Love,

Jacqueline

Cheryl said...

What a very wonderful and touching post! She is definitely the heart of your family. Glad you got to have two celebration parties!!!

Pam said...

What a wonderful thing to celebrate ...twice!!! I'm always amazed at the stories of those that moved so far away ..something I could never do. And now I am amazed that I have a daughter in Korea ...I hope it's not forever!