Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Joy and sorrow....


Christmas is the season of hope and joy.  We have experienced much of that this year.  In our quest to seek simplicity we have discovered what the essence of Christmas is all about....family. 
     I have a family that I adore.  They fill my life with unimagined happiness.  I also have another family.  They are my quilting family and they too bring immense joy to my heart. But today my heart is heavy.  I have lost one of my dearest quilting friends and as much as I try to find the joy, it is very difficult.
    Tonight was our Christmas party. Marty would have been there with her biscotti.  We have worked together at QIAD for eighteen years.  We went thru the phase of matching "quilty" jumpers and petticoats. There were the years of "country vests". We never wavered in our joy of working for Eleanor.  
     When I shared with Marty my concerns about my family or struggles that I was facing, she would always make me feel stronger. She was a rock, and I appreciated her strength.   But in a moment she was gone.  It is unimaginable. 
      Grief was the uninvited guest to our holiday party. I appreciated so much that the girls did all they could to keep the party joyous, but we all knew that it could not be the same.  Marty wasn't there, and she is deeply missed. The picture at the top of this blog is of my quilting family showing the ornaments we all got this year. We managed to smile, but our hearts are heavy. 
      As I left tonight I turned off the lights and said goodnight to Marty as I have for so many years. I am a better person for having known her.  I know she will always be a part of our Wednesday night quilting club....she will always be in our hearts.   

2 comments:

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad that you all decided to go ahead and have the party and be there for each other. My aunt once said to me that death is a part of life and just another phase. I'd like to believe that those who have passed on become our guardian angels and look out for us. I bet Marty was at your party and enjoying every minute...

Pam said...

I echo Jacquie's words and am so sorry about Marty.