Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Feeling SEW clever....

I love a day where I can just take the time to walk thru a few favorite shops and come home feeling inspired.
I had an early work meeting, but wanted a bit of ME time before heading home. So off I went to Anthropologie.....where I can afford the inspiration, but not much else!
The skirt above caught my eye....simple shirred waistline and a price tag of $148.00

Last night while teaching my class, I spied a quirky very Anthro looking fabric. I came home with the fabric and no idea what to do with it....but my visit today changed that.
How hard can it be to make a shirred waist skirt. It happens that it is not hard at all!!!

A double row of elastic takes care of the shirred part.....
....and a soft lining with a bit of vintage looking lace adds to the Anthro feel.

But that is not all that captured my creative spirit.
Meghan mentioned to me recently that she would love some "cute" kitchen towels. So a quick stop at Target for some "on sale" terry cloth towels , a bit of Amy Butler fabric to provide the zing, and a Mom who LOVES to sew to complete the project.
Kind of a winning combination!
I even used the ribbon provided by Target to "wrap" my gift. Not sure how I would spend my time if I didn't feel inspired by sewing....maybe my house would be more tidy and my garden more abundant.
But I am so grateful for my time to sew....it feeds my soul and hopefully brings joy to others. I know a day with out some time to sew does not feel like a day well spent (G)!!!

7 comments:

Patty said...

Your skirt is very cute and part of what makes it so very cute is the fact that you got away without paying the $148.00 price tag!

Meghan said...

Holy Moly I'm a lucky gal! Love how it all turned out!!!

MvR said...

Lovely! And ps. I think your house is very tidy, and your garden is lovely. :) xoxo

Linda said...

Oh, I'm gonna make a skirt like that! How cute! Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Wow - love the skirt! Very cute! And, so are the towels. Clean house - overrated LOL!

Beverly said...

What a cute skirt. And I love the towel from Target that you added a band to. What a great gift.
I know what you mean about a day with time to sew and how it fills your soul.
You are a clever lady too.

Cheryl said...

You are so smart!!! Both great projects!!