Friday, October 30, 2009

Tis Divine to Sew at the Apple Farm.....

.... we made it back to the Apple Farm, which is our favorite destination by far. This time our friends Linda and Denny got to join Jim and I. The boys had signed up for a photo seminar which lasted three days. That meant Linda and I got to search out all sorts of fun things to keep us busy.
The Apple Farm was wonderfully decorated for Fall......
.....and for Christmas, which is always so inspiring and makes me so excited for the holidays that are coming.


We had a chance to do some fun shopping and we never pass up the chance to drop in on the cutest Knit shop in SLO. Can you imagine the joy of being able to make such darling children's outfits?
I can only DREAM of making something this lovely for our little miss Clare....but Oma, if you are reading this, what do you think?????
The shop has the cutest patio and we were invited to join the ladies while they knitted along. In fact, we were given a wonderful free lesson on how to make a dropped stitch scarf. I sure hope Linda was paying attention. I was a bit preoccupied with this.....
They were serving tea and lots of goodies to go with it. I am a sucker for anything fun and yummy and have to admit that even if I didn't want to knit, this would make me commit for sure!
We can never pass up a visit to the Avilla Barn with their lovely arrangements of flowers.....
....and darling things to taste and buy.
I did make some purchases this trip...in fact more than this picture shows. I have already gifted all the sweeties in my life and forgot to take a picture first. I bought some favorite magazines to read, another book to add to my Oma collection. Who can resist a book titled "Sweet Booties"!!!
Bought some really cute fabrics to make more outfits for Clare and a sweet piece of vintage looking fabric for a purse I hope to make.
But I did title this entry as "sewing at the Apple Farm", and would you believe that this darling room could make the best place for a sewing retreat?
This may look like a bench to lounge and read, but you would be wrong.
It became a seating area for two very serious ( sometimes) quilters. Check out that view of the water wheel, with the lovely sound of running water to cool and refresh us on an unseasonably warm SLO day.
Does this look like just a lovely set of drawers....wrong again. With the addition of a cutting mat, we had the loveliest cutting area complete with two lamps to light the way.
Did we have a pressing area....you bet we did. And we only had to walk down a flight of stairs to enjoy endless cups of tea, apple juice or lemon water. Where we spoiled or what???
With all of the distractions we weren't exactly the fastest quilters...but there certainly wasn't a race. Ok, if there was I DID win, but Linda stayed up that night to finish her tablerunner too!!!
Sew....here is to hoping we can do this again. The boys were so enthusiastic about all they learned at their photo classes, and Linda and I did just fine locating every quilt shop near to San Luis Obispo. All in all a very fun destination, and we have a great table runner to remember it by.

3 comments:

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

Looks great...one of these days I'd like to go there!

Patty said...

Looks like you had loads of fun.

Kinz said...

Hi! It is so nice to meet you!!! Even if it is via the internet! I still can't believe I've yet to meet Meghan in person. Nick has always said that she and I would probably have the most in common. I wish we could be closer to everyone! I love your blog! I made Nick a quilt for his Christmas present when he was deployed! I had to get him a Mt. Bike as well (boys aren't too thrilled about saying, "My wife made me a quilt." but he did love it!" I've heard nothing but wonderful things about you and your family! Have a wonderful week!